Dallas Texas Unfair Debt Collection Lawyer
Fort Worth Credit Harassment Attorney
The Texas Debt Collection Act is intended to protect Texas residents who have been contacted by consumer debt collectors. Under the Texas Debt Collection Act, debt collectors may not use abusive practices when collecting consumer debts such as mortgage, auto and credit card payments. If you have reason to believe that you may have been subjected to abusive debt collection practices, contact a lawyer at the law offices of Frenkel & Frenkel in Dallas to schedule a free initial consultation and case evaluation.
Visit our unfair debt collection website: www.wesuedebtcollectors.com
Texas Debt Collection Act
The Texas Debt Collection Act is our state's version of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which likewise protects consumers from illegal debt collection tactics. The Texas law offers even broader protection, however, in that it applies to individuals attempting to collect a debt, whereas the federal law targets only professional collectors.
You Are Legally Protected From Unfair Debt Collection Practices
The Texas Debt Collection Act provides consumers with high levels of protection from unfair debt collection offenses such as the following:
- Making telephone calls without disclosing the name of the individual making the call or with the intent to annoy, harass or threaten a person at the called number.
- Using threats of violence or obscene or profane language.
- Collecting or attempting to collect additional fees or expenses that are not expressly authorized by the agreement that creates the obligation.
- Falsely accusing or threatening to falsely accuse a debtor of fraud or any other crime.
- Threatening debtors with false claims that nonpayment of a consumer debt will result in the seizure, repossession or sale of the person's property without proper court proceedings.
Stop Creditor Harassment
We know from experience that many debt collectors who use such tactics are not the original creditors. Rather, they have purchased defaulted loans and proceed to shamelessly violate the Texas Debt Collection Act. Such debt collectors are subject to criminal and civil penalties. If you believe you have been harassed or deceived, you can seek injunctions against and damages from these unscrupulous debt collectors.
Contact Frenkel & Frenkel at 1-800-834-0000 today if you believe you have been the victim of unfair debt collection practices. You may be entitled to hundreds or even thousands of dollars in punitive damages as well as economic damages to compensate you for money lost that was taken from you in an illegal and fraudulent manner.