Often, when someone contacts an attorney after an accident, they often have many questions about their insurance coverage.  Although insurance agents are very good at selling policies, they often neglect to explain what is covered and what is not. In the perfect world, everyone would have enough insurance coverage to protect them from any type of accident, but the truth is that type of coverage would be cost prohibitive to the average consumer.  Therefore, it is important to understand types of insurance coverage, especially if you have been involved in an accident. Liability Insurance The law requires that all vehicles carry liability insurance, as it pays for the damage to another person’s vehicle or property, and covers injuries to drivers or passengers in the other vehicle.  However, liability insurance will not cover damage to your vehicle, even if the accident is not your fault or pay for any of your medical expenses.  If you only have liability on your vehicle, it is imperative to contact an accident attorney if the accident is the fault of the other driver, as your insurance company will not pay your medical bills. Full Coverage The term “full coverage” often applies to the comp and collision portions of your policy, and most people believe that this portion of the policy will cover all expenses from an accident.  The fact is that comp and collision only pays for damages to your car regardless of who was at fault in the accident, but does not cover any of your medical bills.  To determine your rights after an accident regarding medical bill payment, contact a personal injury attorney, especially if you were not at fault. Personal Injury Protection Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is the portion of the policy that covers you and your passenger’s medical expenses and lost wages, whether the accident was your fault or not.  Adding PIP to your auto policy is relatively inexpensive, and offers additional coverage should you or a passenger be injured in an accident. Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist In today’s tough economic times, your risk of a collision with an uninsured driver, or one with very low insurance limits, is higher than ever.  This means that if the other driver is at fault, they will be unable to pay for your car damage or your medical bills.  Even if they do have insurance, the limits may be so low they cannot cover your damage.  If this happens, you definitely need to seek the advice of an accident attorney to learn what your rights are. The bottom line is that the only person who can be sure that you and your family are protected is you.  For assistance with any of your questions, visit us online at www.FrenkelFirm.com.

Back to Blog
Contact us media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at (214) 333-3333.
Contact Us